Daniel J. Welsh
Dan Welsh focuses his practice on the representation of the owners and developers of commercial real estate and the resolution of complex business disputes. His work frequently ranges from traditional real estate development and zoning work to handling the diverse legal issues that typically arise in the operation of a mature development. In the event that a development project hits a snag, Dan assists developers in resolving disputes with contractors, vendors, municipalities, and in moving projects to completion. Irrespective of the nature of the dispute, Dan utilizes a direct and practical approach that is designed to maximize the economic result for his clients. As a result, he is trusted by his clients to assist with matters that range from routine day-to-day problem solving to complex, high-stakes, "bet the company" litigation.
Dan is one of the pioneers in representing individuals and businesses with their entry into Missouri's newly created medical marijuana market. Dan helps cannabis startups with all facets of their initiatives, including corporate formation, capitalization, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, pre-application work, location site control, zoning, interfacing with government relations and lobbyists, license application and related services designed to maximize application success. Dan also assists experienced cannabis operators, local governments, lending institutions, vendors, investors, landlords and developers with their entry into Missouri's newly created market.
In addition to his real estate and cannabis related practice, Dan also represents a wide array of entities including tech startups, software developers, lending institutions, bankruptcy trustees, design professionals, sports agents and athletes. Dan is an active participant in the region's ag tech and plant science community, and is a member of the firm’s management committee.
- Real Estate Transactions
- Acquisitions, Sales, Corporate and Business Law
- Shopping Centers
- Financial Institutions
- Credit Unions
- Bankruptcy, Financial Restructuring and Debtor Creditor Rights
- Sports Law
- Cannabis Law
- Miami of Ohio (B.A., 1997)
- St. Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2000)
- Eastern District of Missouri
- Western District of Missouri
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Professional Associations, Boards & Memberships
- Danforth Society Member- Danforth Plant Science Center
- Missouri Botanical Gardens
- National Cannabis Bar Association
- Missouri Medical Cannabis Trade Association (MOCANN)
- Missouri Hemp Trade Association
- Missouri Farm Bureau
- Missouri Farmer's Union
- St. Louis Agribusiness Club
- BiodiverCITY of St. Louis
- Missouri Prairie Foundation, Grow Native.
- St. Louis Audubon Society
- Deer Creek Watershed Alliance
- Great Rivers Greenway
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Urban Land Institute (ULI)
- Missouri Growth Association (MGA)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (BAMSL)
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Sports Lawyer’s Association (SLA)
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA)
- Rule 17 Mediator
Community & Civic Involvement
- Vice Chair, City of Ladue Zoning Board of Adjustment
- Volunteer Lawyer’s and Accountants for the Arts (VLAA)
Awards & Recognition
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, Top Settlements in the State of Missouri, 2014. HCW Development Company, LLC v. Chicago Title Insurance Company, et. al. Cause Number 11SL-CC04364. Ranked the #3 settlement in the State of Missouri for the year 2014, with settlement valued at $91,500,000.
- Missouri Kansas Super Lawyers – Rising Star 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Oct 9, 2017 SCW Attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch Secure Summary Judgment In Favor of...
SCW attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch secure Summary Judgment in favor of HCW Development Company, LLC in Branson Landing lawsuit.
- Dec 15, 2015 SCW Attorneys Named to 2015 Super Lawyers Ranking
SWC Attorneys Bonnie Clair, David Sosne and William Hobson named Super Lawyers; Daniel Welsh named Rising Star
- Dec 7, 2015 Dan Welsh appointed to the City of Ladue Zoning Board of Adjustment.
Dan Welsh appointed to the City of Ladue Zoning Board of Adjustment.
- Nov 9, 2015 Dan Welsh appointed to Sports Lawyers Association delegation to Cuba
Dan Welsh appointed as a delegate in the first ever Sports Lawyers Association delegation to Cuba.
- Mar 31, 2015 SCW Attorneys Secure Settlement in Richmond Heights Lawsuit
Jill Rembusch, Dan Welsh and Steve Hiotis secured settlement of a lawsuit brought by the City of Richmond Heights against Michelson Commercial Realty and Development.
- Feb 5, 2015 Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch Secure Judgment on Behalf of Branson Landing Tenants
SCW attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch secure Judgment in the Western District of Missouri on behalf of Branson Landing tenants.
- Jan 30, 2015 SCW Attorneys Honored at Missouri Lawyers Weekly Banquet
SCW attorneys Dan Welsh, Jill Rembusch and Steve Hiotis were honored at Missouri Lawyers Weekly's Annual Banquet.
- Jan 14, 2015 Dan Welsh Discusses Minor League Baseball Lawsuit
SCW attorney Dan Welsh discusses minor league baseball fair wage lawsuit in Riverfront Times Article.
- Dec 1, 2014 Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch Secure Third Largest Settlement in Missouri
Settlement secured by SCW attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch named the third largest settlement in the state of Missouri.
- Aug 25, 2014 Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch Secure Global Settlement of Branson Landing
SCW attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch secure global settlement of Branson Landing land title dispute.
- Jul 2, 2014 Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch Secure Judgment in Favor of HCW Development Company
SCW attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch secure Judgment in the Western District of Missouri in favor of HCW Development Company.
- Mar 5, 2014 Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch Secure Summary Judgment in Favor of HCW Development...
Attorneys Dan Welsh and Jill Rembusch serve Summary Judgement in favor of HCW Development Company, LLC and against the City of Branson.