William H. Hobson
Bill Hobson's practice focuses on counseling clients and assisting families in the areas of estate and gift taxation, estate planning, the drafting of wills and trusts, family partnerships, prenuptial agreements, charitable giving and charitable foundations and the administration of trusts and estates.
Bill has extensive experience in the preparation of estate tax, gift tax, generation-skipping transfer tax and fiduciary income tax returns, financial powers of attorney, health care powers of attorney and living wills. Additionally, Bill has a wealth of experience in the drafting of life insurance trusts, grantor retained annuity trusts, qualified spousal trusts and qualified personal residence trusts.
Bill was the principal draftsman of the Missouri Prudent Investor Act and an active participant in drafting the Missouri Uniform Trust Code. He is also a member of the Missouri Bar Probate and Trust Committee's Subcommittee drafting the proposed "Missouri Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act."
He is a frequent speaker on estate planning topics to various groups.
- New York University (Graduate Tax Program, 1978 - 1980)
- University of Virginia (LL.B., 1969)
- Dartmouth College (B.A., 1966, cum laude)
- Missouri, 1980
- New York, 1970
- U.S. District Courts for Eastern and Western Missouri Districts of Missouri
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
- State Courts of MO
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- The Missouri Bar (Trust Law Revision Subcommittee)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (Past Chairman, Probate and Trust Section)
- Estate Planning Council of St. Louis
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Fellow)
- Military Officers Association of America
- Member of MOAA Lawyer Listing Service
Community & Civic Involvement
- Area Resources for Community and Human Services (ARCHS) Board of Directors and Executive Committee Member
- Children’s Hospital of St. Louis, Children’s Legacy Advisor
- Boy Scouts of America, Former Scout Master, Troop 21
- St. Louis Woodworker’s Guild, Membership Chairman
- Margaret Blanke Grigg Foundation, President
- Prayer Breakfast for Greater St. Louis, Program Chairman
Awards & Recognition
- Martindale Hubbell AV® Preeminent ™ Rating
- Best Lawyers, 2007-Present
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers, 2005-Present
- Captain, U.S. Army, Military Intelligence, Bronze Star, Service in the Republic of Vietnam
- Nov 3, 2016 SCW Attorneys Named to 2016 Super Lawyers Ranking
SCW attorneys Bonnie L. Clair, David A. Sosne, William H. Hobson and Pamela D. Perdue have been named Super Lawyers for 2016.
- Dec 15, 2015 SCW Attorneys Named to 2015 Super Lawyers Ranking
SWC Attorneys Bonnie Clair, David Sosne and William Hobson named Super Lawyers; Daniel Welsh named Rising Star